Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Strawberry Cream Cheese Bread

 


I'm not going to lie to you.  I eat batter.  Lots of it.  I don't care if it has raw eggs and could poison me.  If I'm making chocolate chip cookies and take the time to mix it all together, I guarantee a little bit is going into some Tupperware for me to eat later when the kids go to bed.

This recipe - strawberry cream cheese bread - was one of many pins I pinned this summer.  I know someone who makes strawberry bread that I like but now that I think about it, I don't believe there are any actual strawberries in it.  I think it is just flavored and tinted pink.  I like that this recipe uses fresh berries.  But to be honest, now that I've made it, there is something else about it that I like even more:  the batter.  Holy goodness, this batter is amazing.  It's kind of like cake batter but thicker and more intense.  You need to make this just to taste the batter.

I was worried that the actual bread wouldn't be as good as the batter because I've had that happen in recipes before but this recipe did not disappoint.  I doubled the recipe and made eight mini loaves to give away as gifts and they turned out great.  My almost seven year old son said that we should just keep making this bread but try out different berries in it to see what happens.  Henry, I'm with you on that one!


Strawberry Cream Cheese Bread


1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 pckg. cream cheese, softened
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Kosher salt or fine sea salt, whatever you have
1 cup buttermilk
3 cups strawberries, rinsed, dried and chopped (about one pckg from the store)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray your baking pan with Pam for Baking or grease and flour it.   Cream the butter, sugar and cream cheese until fluffy (I would recommend using a mixer). Add the eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla. On low speed, add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until just blended.  Add buttermilk and mix until just combined.  Carefully fold in strawberries by hand.  Bake the miniloaves for approximately 40 minutes and the full size loaf for 50-60 minutes. 

*Note – This recipe reflects the fact that I doubled the original one from this website: http://www.thebakerupstairs.com/2013/01/strawberry-cream-cheese-bread.html

I wanted to make sure that I had enough bread to give away as gifts.   Also, I don’t use buttermilk for much so I wanted to use up as much of the carton as I could.  The recipe as written above makes eight mini loaves or two 9x5 loaves.

**Recipe slightly adapted from thebakerupstairs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment